13 Reasons to Watch Oscar’s Hotel This Very Minute
If you’ve laid eyes on Kickthepj’s YouTube channel in the past year, A) you have great taste in YouTube channels, and B) you’re well aware that PJ’s short film baby “Oscar’s Hotel” has just been birthed into the world after months of intensive labor. (I am so sorry for this metaphor.)
Chances are you’ve stopped by OscarsHotelSeries.com to order the six-episode series on Vimeo, but just incase you’re dilly-dallying and need some extra convincing not to waste another second, here are 13 reasons we’re obsessed with this series… and we’ve only seen the first episode.
1. It’s undeniably Kickthepj-esque, complete with the trademark cardboard craftiness.
2. It features cameos and mentions of tons of classic characters.
3. Every YouTuber you know is in it, though you may not recognize them at first since they’re probably painted from head to toe or wearing a gargantuan octopus costume.
4. Everything about it, from the sets and costumes to the lighting design to the camera quality, is extremely aesthetically pleasing.
5. You can watch it again and again and still pick out new details happening in the background that you missed before.
6. It’s equally as terrifying as it is charming.
7. There are balloons come to life.
8. There’s a scene in which a character turns black and white mid-shot, which is the coolest thing ever.
9. It’s so polished, and you can see every bit of work the team put into the production.
10. It’s full of tragic backstories.
11. The first episode is based on “The Party Nightmare,” a short film PJ and friends made back in 2013.
12. The editing is on point. Like, ON POINT.
13. Simply put, if you love Kickthepj, you will be obsessed with “Oscar’s Hotel” and you will feel all the emotions. (I teared up when the credits rolled.) If you’re brand new to Kickthepj, you’ll begin the descent into obsession that will consume your life and make it a little more whimsical. OK, a lot more whimsical. And you’ll love it.
We’re so proud of every ounce of work that went into this creation, and we CAN’T WAIT for the next episode! We’ve heard our two favorite emo nerds will make an appearance. (Seriously, though… we can’t wait. Hurry up, time.)
Have you checked into “Oscar’s Hotel” yet? Tweet us what you loved about it! @FakeTeamFangirl
Katie Wingfield is a Co-Founder of TeamFangirl.com. She is v emotional but what else is new? @Katie_Wingfield